Total Pageviews

Friday 11 March 2011

What a terrible net!

Ahh, where to even begin?! Went to Uni nets after my Spanish lecture, and it didn't start off well. Got bowled for a golden duck in kwik cricket at the start. Then netted. Bowling was okay, not bowled as consistently well as I have done before, but this is where I got annoyed. Normally we have 3 nets: 1st team, 2nd team and 3rd team. Tonight, we had 2 nets and a bowling machine. Naturally, all the 2nd team bowlers went into the 1st team net, and I was bowling and batting against 3rd teamers. I don't like this. The 3rd teamers just tried to slog everything I bowled, and this really wound me up. Then I padded up, and went to bat. Everything was either down leg or not even on the pitch, apart from a few balls I drove nicely, and one that was swinging into me, I played all around it, and it took out leg stump. Came out of the net, spoke to a few lads who were watching and they told me I'm not playing it under my eyeline. Joy. A massive flaw in my technique. That, and the fact I can't hit a leg stump ball with a straight bat. Hmm... This will probably involve lots of bowling machine practice. Better luck next time I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I think that it's universally acknowledged that if you're a Leg-Spinner and especially so when you're learning your craft, you are going to be smashed all over the place. You kind of have to go with a couple of objectives.... Bowl against someone you acknowledge is half decent and look to observe their weaknesses and try and exploit these. It's not something I'm brilliant at, but I just try bowling an off-stump line and see what they do and then a wide of leg stump attacking the leg stump to see how they handle that. If I can establish one is weaker than the other I then bowl at different positions on the crease, close to the stumps and wide of the stumps, vary the speeed and flight those kind of things. It then becomes more meaningful and useful.

    ReplyDelete