Total Pageviews

Sunday 24 April 2011

Saturday, April 24. Away v Caistor

First game of the season, and I have one question: How the f**k did we lose that?! 15 hours afterwards I'm still asking it!
We won the toss, and the skipper (God knows why) put us in the field. We didn't find that out til after teas though, typical! So in 27 degree heat, we got going. One of the openers was a bit expensive/erratic, and came off after 5. Dan at the other end was finding quality areas, and our veteran seamer came on at the other end. He got 2 breakthroughs, leaving them about 40-2 after 15. Drinks couldn't come quickly enough! I got lose after about 18 overs, came on start of the 21st. Cue this big lad coming down the track and taking me for 4,0,4,2,2 off the first 5 balls of my over. Bugger. Godd'im with the 6th though, down the track, foot out the crease, beat the bat, stumped. May have gave him a send-off. Dick shouldn't hit me for 12 off 5 then should he?! Found my rhythm after that, with a maiden next over, and 2 off the next 2 overs to put me at 4-1-14-1. Really put the squeeze on after that, bowling this lad through the gate in my 5th over. Bowled through until the 43rd over, picking up another wicket, to leave me with 9-4-20-3, which is handy. They were all out 121. My fielding was good, hung back on one where they snook a single but made up for it, saved about 5 runs in "quick singles" at backward point. Standaaard.

Teas were quality, and as usual I ate far too much. Glad I bat down the order...

Batting was a calamity, to say the least. 4/0 became 8/3, became 24/4, 40/5, 56/6, 75/7. After 35 overs! I walked in, not sure what I was gonna do to be honest! Kept out their skipper for 3 balls, then got an outside edge (all along the floor, soft hands and all) for 4, silly bugger didn't have a 3rd man in! Leggie on at the other end, and my tactic of taking a step down the track to make them drop it short worked, took 7 off 6 balls against him over 2 overs. They brought back this dreadful seamer, took him for 4 off the first 4 balls of the over, and then played all around one that was even slower than his usual dross on an even slower wicket! Thought it was going down, with me batting on leg, but understandable given the shot I played, and that I ask for middle not leg... Silly bollocks! After that, we lost our last 2 wickets for 10 runs and were all out 10 short. Cat got 22 off 36, batted very sensibly for him!

Game today against Scunthorpe, gotta get us off to a start this season! 'Mon the Owmby!

No comments:

Post a Comment