Total Pageviews

Sunday 8 May 2011

What the funk?!

You know when you have one of those days where fuck all goes right? Yeah, I had one of them. Where to start... Well, my train was cancelled, so I had to wait an hour. Then, I realised I'd left my sun-cream, water and breakfast in Hull, so I was thirsty, hungry and prone to burning like Rich Clarke... Oh well! Got to the ground, to find it was drier than we thought it would be. Had a bowl at Sam in the nets beforehand, and felt in good touch. So we lost the toss and were put into bat. Looked a good toss to lose, was hard underfoot. Raky and Andy put on 75, SEVENTY-FIVE! For the first wicket. In 15 overs. Which, for us, is like a miracle. a) an opening partnership, and b) actual quick runs! Andrew was out first, and Rakesh the next over. Sam and Deegs put on 32, before Deegs got out to a fairly piss-poor decision. And from there we just, well, collapsed. I walked in at 124-6, and everyone else hit out (and got out), whilst I couldn't find my timing, and couldn't force the pace against some of the better bowlers we've faced this year. 142/10, myself left not out with a gutsy (by which I mean "horribly out of form and couldn't get the ball off the fucking square) 4 off 25 balls. Test-match.

Teas were quality. Standard Owmby!

Ahh, to the field. Danny started off with some really good areas, and got the well deserved wicket of their opener (another shit LBW shout, but still...) and then quickly followed it up with the other opener, a much better delivery beating his outside edge and hitting top of off. I was brought on as first change, after 10 overs, and picked up a wicket in my first over. Back through the gate, and it trickled onto the stumps. My next 3 overs were a mixture of some very good balls (beating the edge, leading edges, etc) and one bad ball an over, duly punished. 4 overs, 1-15. My 5th over was a whole different story. First ball, blocked back. Second ball, swept to deep square for 1. 3rd ball, short and cut for 4. 4th ball, legside and slogged for 6. 5th ball, low full toss drilled through cover. 6th ball, good length ball driven for 4. Arse. 5 overs, 1-34. "Have a rest Ben" came the inevitable call. Ah well, we all have bad days. This was the first real bad one I've had for the best part of 2 years, so I can't really complain... On the up side, I had a blinder in the field for the first 26 overs, the last 2 overs I missed one that I should have stopped (considering I view myself as a very good fielder when I get my head down), saved about 10 runs in the point area. So it wasn't a truly terrible day, it's just that my main ability let me down. Oh well.

Got 2 matches next weekend, a midweek game on Wednesday (16 8-ball overs!) and maybe another game tomorrow. Need some improvement! Will update sometime this week. BT x

No comments:

Post a Comment